Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Priorities

Priorities

By Nicolette Clancy
We "want" the praise
but can't make the effort
We "want" close family
but don't have the time
We "want" a strong faith
but can't make a commitment
We "want" the love
but have nothing to give
We "want" to relax
but won't turn off the distractions
We "want" the skill
but can't find the time to practice
We "want" the peace
but continue to argue
We "want" these things
but apparently not enough


Life is all about making priorities, what are your priorities?

This poem hits close to home for all of us. At some point we all say I want to be a better son, daughter, parent, athlete, co-worker, husband or wife. We have all said to ourselves, I want to be healthy and fit. I want more meaningful relationships in my life. I want a better relationship with God. We say these things on a daily basis... Why is it that we all want these things but we just aren't willing to make these things priorities in our lives so we can have them? Maybe Nicolette Clancy said it best in this poem... Maybe we just don't want them bad enough!

I believe that we have become accustomed to taking the easy way out of things. Allowing ourselves to become to comfortable in our lives. We allow our daily stressors distract us from what is truly important in life. We have allowed ourselves to be okay with mediocrity. I say it is time for a change"! Now is the time make yourself a priority. Whatever the goal may be, make it a priority in your life and go after it. Get comfortable being uncomfortable! This is when you will find your true strength and accomplish great things in your life.

CrossFit has been my vehicle for change in my life. It has shown me how to get comfortable being uncomfortable. It has shown me how to go the extra mile to make sure I get the results I want. It has taught me to never settle for mediocrity. All these lessons I have learned in CrossFit I have been able to carry over into my personal life. CrossFit has helped me to improve my relationship with God. It has taught me to put in the extra effort and make time for my family and friends. It has also taught me how to be a leader and set a good example for others. It is because of my love for CrossFit that I am the person I am today!

So let me ask you again... Life is all about making priorities, what are yours?

1 comment:

  1. Great post Erin! You bring up a great question... What is it that keeps us from achieving those things that we claim to "want"? I ask you this, though, do you really feel that we have condemned ourselves to mediocrity and become content with what life has given us? Or do you think that maybe we have become "afraid" to strive for success? Paralyzed by fear... The fear of failing, of not being good enough, of the unknown, of letting others down, of missing out, or of being wrong. Maybe it isn't all about taking the easy way out... Maybe the "easy" way out has become our ONLY way out because we are too scared of ANY other way, no matter what it is.

    I think that if we can learn to overcome our fear that we will all realize how much we really have to offer in every aspect of our lives. Whether it is building your relationship with God stronger, becoming a healthier eater, pushing yourself to be a better husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend, or if it is just to be a better athlete in CrossFit, I think the first step is to overcome any and all fear that you have associated with it.

    It is after the fear is neutralized that we can expect change. Then we are free of the chains we had been subjected to before. Free to fulfill our wants and desires. Free to become that which we are destined to be!

    ReplyDelete